About

Our History

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding,”

Proverbs 3:5.

On Sunday, May 22, 2011, trusting in God, a group of 70 individuals gathered together to worship in a rented facility. The individuals in the group had several things in common, their desire to be part of a church that held firm to a foundation that the Bible is the inspired Word of God and a commitment to traditional Lutheran beliefs and doctrine. The service was led by Rev. Julie Smith, a supply pastor associated with LCMC. A short meeting was held immediately following the service to determine if the group wanted to continue worshiping together. The answer was a resounding “Yes”. We have been a vibrant family of faith ever since.

By the end of June 2011 the name of Hope Lutheran was chosen, Articles of Incorporation were filed, a Constitution and By-Laws were written and approved, and a Church Council was elected. Hope Lutheran affiliated with Lutheran Congregations in Mission for Christ (LCMC). Many times this year we have been guided by God to reach the decisions we have made and to take the actions we have.

By August of 2011, plans for the Fall’s Education program were in place, the Women of Hope Organization was established and a Pastoral Call Committee appointed. A Reaffirmation of Faith service was held on August 28th, with 80 individuals becoming members of Hope Lutheran Church (LCMC).

In September of 2011, the congregation voted to issue a Letter of Call to Pastor Tom Christenson to serve as our first pastor. The Letter of Call was accepted and Pastor Tom was officially installed on the first weekend of November. Again we felt God’s hand in guiding Hope to find the right individual to lead us.

Hope Lutheran continues to develop our ministries and programs as we seek God’s leading hand in our future.

1667 Frank Ave SE - Huron, South Dakota 57350            (605) 554-1002            email: pastortlc@gmail.com